Tuesday, September 28, 2010

She's back.. sort of...

Ok… ok.. she’s making an appearance and sending her apologies to her fellow princesses. It feels like a confession .. It’s been exactly two weeks and five days since I’ve done any physical activity.. so I feel the need to backtrack and explain away my absence.

Here goes.. With one week left of vacation I decided to take up one of the WestJet hotel deals and head to Punta Cana with a girlfriend. With the best of intentions I filled 1/3 of my suitcase with workout gear and the weekly workout schedule to ensure that I would be on pace with the other princesses when I returned. Now when you arrive in Punta Cana in September you realize quickly that any working out would have to happen before the sun rises as the temperature spikes to the high twenties as soon as the first rays hit the beach. No worries I say .. I’ll just work out in the gym.. um, another no go as the gym was not air conditioned and only had two stationary bikes and an ancient stepper machine. Needless to say i spent most of my vacation as seen in the photo to the left, my running shoes stayed clean (how will I be able to pack my shoes for my return trip with all that sand in the tread?) and unfortunately my workout gear just took up room in the suitcase (though I had clean workout gear should I decide to workout upon my return (I didn’t)). That explains away the first eight days.. now the next eleven…

Our plane arrived just before midnight on the 16th so even the thought of going to the gym, just wasn’t gong to happen, I needed the sleep in! Back at work for one day, the up at 6am to catch another plane to Melissa’s wedding in Kelowna. Though the weather was better in Kelowna (+17) than in Calgary (+1) it was still raining and with all the wedding activities it just wasn’t going to happen. Great wedding, late night, a bear sighting within the grounds (can’t run when a bear is around.. unless you are running from it) and another early morning to make the drive from the Lake Okanagan Resort to catch our plane adds two more days to the tally.


I knew I wasn’t 100% when I got back from Kelowna, I just figured it was the lack of sleep over the last three days (as I had slept about 16-18 out of 24hrs in Punta Cana) but when I woke up drenched from a sweat out, I knew it was a little more serious. Made it to work that day but ended up in bed pretty much on and off with my Tylenol cold and flu, juice, soup and Powerade (thank you so much Charles.. you saved my life) for the next week. I think I’ve gotten through the worst of it and can now say that I did fell like I'm definitely on the road to recovery!

So today marks the first day in three weeks that all three princesses got up early and took to the path to run the three kilometres this morning that we were supposed to run as well as one half of the weights workout. Yay us! Looking forward to putting this run as well as the rest of the weekly runs towards our 'Map to Orlando"

She’s back with fingers crossed she’ll be able to keep it up!! Thanks for the support Felic and Crystal!!

No comments:

Post a Comment