Saturday, October 9, 2010

It's all about shoes!

I like shoes.  A LOT. Someday, I hope to be like Imelda Marcos (umm, but without the dictatorship, embezzling and exile) and have a whole room just for shoes.  Problem is, I have big feet.  At age 10, I could actually act my age and my shoe size.  I thought I was going to be really tall after hitting 5'5 by 11 years old, but after 2 more inches (that's what she said!) I maxed out.  Hence, my penchant for 3 inch heels; they allow me to be the height I think I should have been.  Thing is, when your feet are as big as mine, shoe shopping can be tricky.  I'll never forget when I was 10 and wanted My Little Pony sneakers.  The salesman took one look at my feet and said "oh, honey, I can sell you the boxes..." which probably ignited a lifelong desire for pretty shoes (that, and as the saying goes "you can never be too fat for a new pair of shoes", heh!) So, now all my pretty shoes come from the States as they have more variety in size Giant. For sports, I usually wear men's shoes.  I don't mind, they tend to be cheaper and don't really look that different, plus they're super comfy!

Where am I going with this, you ask?  Well, I do love me some heels, but I guess I can't wear them 7 days a week.  This week, I wore Franco Sartos heels on Tuesday, Coach mules on Wednesday and Guess pumps on Thursday.  Yeah, my feet looked awesome, but these are also days I ran 4K, 5K and 3K respectively.  By Friday, my feet were so sore that even though I wore sneakers to work I felt like The Little Mermaid---not the Disney one, the Hans Christian Anderson one who in exchange for getting legs, would feel like she was walking on razor blades.  Even watching TV on Friday night (hey there Socialite!) I had my feet elevated in an attempt to make them feel better. Good thing it wasn't a running day.

So, Saturday breaks and I have to run 8K.   Usually my long runs are the day after a rest day, and after the first K, I could already feel it wasn't going to be the best run.  It was another great day at the reservoir, sunny and a perfect 10C for running.  Boy, fall doesn't last long in Calgary, because the lovely yellow leaves I was all excited about last week are GONE, the trees were completely bare.   There were a lot of families out on bikes, and I did find myself continuously dodging small children, but I made it through without accidentally straightarming anyone.  I felt like I finished strong, but was sort of surprised at the end that I was only 2 minutes quicker than last week's 26C run where I thought I was dying.  I guess I was a bit slower overall this week, I did see a few times my pacing was slower than usual, while my feet felt better, but not 100%. I'm not trying to make excuses, because I felt pretty good about the run, but I was still surprised by my time.  Ah, well, I still ran the whole 8K plus I actually got out of bed before noon on a Saturday, so it's still another success in my books!

In closing,  I'll leave you with this video about someone else who loves shoes too!

No comments:

Post a Comment