Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Run for the Cure Calgary 2010!

I ran the CIBC Run for the Cure on Sunday.  Someone on my soccer team pointed out that one in nine women will get breast cancer and our roster had 18 girls, and that we should do the 5K run as a team. We ended up with a team of 22 and raised over $5000 for the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation and had a lot of fun doing the race! 8000 people showed up to walk or run, and the energy at the start and finish line was just incredible. Houses along the route were invited to participate however they liked, and there were probably hundreds of people sitting outside their houses cheering on the runners, their trees festooned with pink streamers, balloons and bras.  Come to think of it, bras were definately the decoration of choice! My favorite sign said "YOUR FEET HURT BECAUSE YOU'RE KICKING SO MUCH ASS!" but there were some other signs encouraging a specific runner on or reminding someone who they were running for that made me a bit teary.  Still, I spent most of the race smiling and I tried to wave at everybody as I went by; it was a great day, a great cause and a great turnout. I think I'm going to make this an annual event!


Pink Lightning 2010!! Big smiles and bad hair all around!


No comments:

Post a Comment