Monday, January 3, 2011

Back Blogged, I mean back logged on the blog. This one is post dated Dec 19, 2010 - 15km Reservoir Run!!

Well here were are, 71 days until our race and all this training has started to get really real. This weekend’s long run was a 14k’er and of course it being Holiday Season and us being the fun and festive ladies that we are, we decided there was no way we were going to make the 8:30am run this Sunday with our Running Room group. I have to say though, I am extremely proud of how for the past few weekends, none of us have been able to make it to the Running Room for the Sunday runs, but we ALWAYS still manage to get in our long runs on the weekend at some point.

This weekend we had all decided a really great run to do would be the Glenmore Reservoir loop which is 14.95kms. We figured we would have a brisk walk at the beginning and end to even it out to 14km. 1:30pm was our meeting time which we thought would give us enough of a sleep in from the previous night’s X-mas soirées and a little time to fuel and hydrate. That morning Princess Fliss sent out a text confirming our meeting time and making sure we were bundled and hydrated! Bundled yes, hydrated… so-so. If by hydrated you mean beer, wine, shots and coffee from the past 2 days, then YES! But I don’t think that’s what she meant. A friend of mine joined us for the run. This friend competes in triathlons and was about to put us to shame. But it was nice to have her along and made a nice little running group.




The day was actually gorgeous, one of the nicest yet. It was -13degrees but not a breath of wind, the sun was shining and the snow sparkling. Starting from Weaslehead we head South on the path, through the wooded part where we had to run single file, army like for the first bit. It’s difficult to have conversations that way and I was in the lead and worried about keeping a good pace, not too fast, not to slow. There were lots of people on the path and we said hello to everyone and surprisingly didn’t get as many cheerful hellos in return. I’m pretty sure we’re not intimidating or mean looking! At that point I was determined to say hello to everyone we saw. We did get a few nice hellos back finally which made me happy. Maybe there is a rift between walkers and runners that we don’t know about??

I remembered my watch this time and we ran 10 and 1s. Ran for 10 mins then walked briskly for 1min. We stopped a few times for photo ops and Christi tested us with some Christmas movie trivia. “What was the little elf’s name from the claymation Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer, the one who wanted to be a dentist?” Herme!! None of us got it. We ran past Heritage Park which was PACKED. We figured it must have been the last day of 12 days of Christmas there. At one point we took a tiny de-tour through a residential neighbourhood but found the path again quickly.




I felt pretty decent the whole time, up until we were entering back into the park, probably around the 12-13km mark. I was starting to really notice my calves hurting and a little bit of back pain. By this point, when we would stop to walk for a min, it felt like everything was beginning to cramp up. I felt more comfortable running than walking. I’m not sure if this is normal, a good thing, or a bad thing. I was definitely running out of steam and by the last km, wasn’t quite sure if I could keep going. I had to push myself though, as I was running beside my triathlon friend who told me I could do it and there was probably only about 5 minutes left. Felicity told me she had the little voice in her head as well saying “Don’t give up now, you’ve come so far!!”. And then just like that, there was the parking lot and we had done it! 15km! The longest distance Christi and I had ever run before in our lives, a PB time for Felicity at that distance and most likely the slowest 15kms ever for my friend! Haha!

I’m writing this on Monday, the day after and I actually feel really good. I was pretty sore last night and had a restless sleep because my legs felt really sore. This morning my hips were sore but I’m starting to feel much better. We’ll see how we all feel tomorrow though, 2 days later when it usually hits hard. We also have 5kms of hill training to look forward to tomorrow night as well!!


All I have to say though is how proud I feel to have run 15kms. There are people in this world who will never run even 5km and we just rocked 15!! We are way more than half way there! Nice work Princesses!!

No comments:

Post a Comment