Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Perception = Reality?

Hmmm...I had perceived that I was thinner.
Well, I also ran on the weekend, but pretty much had a totally different experience than my fellow princesses. Now, I've lived in Calgary for over 25 years so I should be used to it, but it still amazes me how much easier it is to breathe pretty much anywhere else, especially when running. So when I found myself in Victoria this weekend for a belated Christmas celebration I had been looking forward to a long ocean side run for weeks! I was expecting a good run based on the fact that I was going to be at sea level, where I've found that running feels a lot easier because I don't have to breathe through tight lungs full of fire like I do at 3500 feet. This run did NOT disappoint!



After a breakfast of freshly made bread topped with peanut butter and banana, I headed out along the ocean. The sun was shining, the sky was blue and the grass was green. Yes, GREEN grass! And it was warm enough that I didn’t need mittens or have to worry about slipping on ice. Along the ocean walk path, I blew by dozens and dozens of walkers….with walkers….or canes. Did I mention I was in the retirement community of Saanich, not actually Victoria? Eat my running dust, good citizens!


Combined with the altitude and humidity that didn’t have my mouth dry out like a raisin in the first 3 minutes, I felt like I was flying! I felt so good, I actually did 14k instead of 12 just because I thought I should take advantage of the great weather and how awesome I felt. Around the 12K mark I had to cross an overpass over the highway, and I actually sped up running up the incline to the top since my lungs weren’t filling with fire. In Calgary, I would have trudged up, possibly crying a little by that point, but behold my sea level skills! I am Superathlete, watch me fly!


When I finished, I checked my trusty Nike Plus, confident I had broken all speed records. I was actually SHOCKED to discover I was only a few seconds faster per km than usual, not really anything special or overly speedy. I guess the combination of altitude, humidity, temperature and the fact that I was alone on a new route and had nothing to compare my pace to except by how I felt. And it felt GREAT! Hopefully, since Florida is also at sea level, this half is gonna be a breeze!

PS...Guess how much butter chicken I can eat at a Fairmont buffet after running 14K?  I DISGRACED myself with at LEAST 4 trips up...but it was awesome!

4 comments:

  1. Umm...dessert runs count as 'trips' to the buffet, so you were closer to nine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. marooned in mexico for 3 weeksJanuary 12, 2011 at 9:17 PM

    wow... green grass and unfrozen water... what a treat.. wait a minute... i'm going to look out the window

    oh my, it's warm and balmy... and wait.. is that a palm tree i see... yup

    and, not that i'm counting, but i've had more margaritas in the past 3 days than i've had in the previous 5 years. there may be some school closures here cause it's too hot. ah well...

    keep up da good work whistle

    ReplyDelete
  3. HEY!!! The shadow is skinny!!!

    (PS... we're currently at 1500 metres... that's half as high again as Parson BC!!)

    today we lounged in an underground spa where you could then swim outdoors into the blinding sun and gaze over the fields and see an old pyramid in the distance (are there any new pyramids besides those in Vegas??)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty Princess Felicity!

    Do you have your pretty tiara yet to wear for the pretty run? Every pretty princess needs to wear a pretty tiara, even if it is fastened onto a pretty running hat...

    Love, Princess Belle

    ReplyDelete