Friday, September 3, 2010

The price of looking AWESOME!

After work today, I stopped by the mall for some legitimate errands (my Nike plus isn't working and I was hoping to get it fixed or replaced).  Since I was at the mall, I thought I would check out my favorite athleticwear store and see what was new in the running section.  I happen to believe the cuter you look, the faster you run, so I thought I would try on their snappy running pants.  The new ones are all tapered at the bottom and the theory is that tighter fabric is better for muscles and recovery and blah blah blah.  I've tried them on a few times in the store and I can't help but agree, they do feel like there would be less stressful and a faster recovery after a stressful run.  I can't actually test it out on an actual run though, because frankly the tapered legs make my butt look big...ger.  I feel more comfortable in either flared pants or a capri with a flare right below the knee, and um...they have to be snug so my cheeks don't smack together while I run, OK?

Anyway, after being horribly reminded that I have legs that look like ice cream cones, I got all distracted by the tops they had.  Since we are running outside frequently and the days are getting shorter and colder, I thought it would make sense to check out some long sleeved tops in bright colors so I'm easier to see early in the morning...I do have one yellow number that can almost be seen from space, but I can't wear it on consecutive days (yeah, not only do my cheeks slap together when I run but I sweat like a hog on slaughter day.  I need all the pretty outfits I can get to detract from all the scary)  Oh, and safety first! Lulu did not disappoint, they had tops in this great orange that I really liked.  I find out later from their website that the shade is called Alarming, heh. I spent 5 minutes in the change room trying to decide if I looked awesome or stupid in this:

Orange jacket

It's made of a fabric that I have on another shirt that I love and wear a lot, it's a crazy color, has reflectors, a hood and hand protectors, so it would be great for outdoor runs.  Plus, it makes me look all cute and thin and has some interesting lines on it.  But...maybe I don't want a hood flapping around me as I run, and maybe it's just a bit too flashy for me.  After preening for a few minutes, I decide to buy it anyways and get a second opinion since I am largely incapable of making any adult decisions on my own.  On my way to the till, I spot this:

Other orange jacket

I try it on, and I've suddenly lost 20lbs and seem to be some kind of super athlete!  It's the same color as the other jacket so it's good and bright for outdoors, plus it has pockets and a high neck to keep me warm and a zipper for when I get TOO warm (this happens around 3 minutes into a run).  It's not the same fabric as the other one, but it's probably a bit warmer.Plus the guy behind the counter sees me try it on and says "oh, honey, if you were wondering? YES YOU CAN wear that color, it looks great on you!", which totally validates what I was thinking, and made me feel like I was on Sex and the City or something.

I panic.  I ask what their return policy is, and am told I have 2 weeks to decide.  Rather than buy neither and come back after I decide to find they are gone, (this has happened before, I won't let it happen again!) I buy both and leave the store in a haze of excitement and terror at what I have just done. I can't keep them both, since they're the same color, but I don't know what to do, they're both that great. Ahh!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment