Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Ursula's revenge?

In the interest of cross training, I went deep water running tonight.  Like the name implies, it involves "running" around in the deep pool at my local swimmin' hole. It's supposed to be good for your joints as well as increase your range of motion and offers resistance from all sides in the water which gets all your muscles working.  I used to go pretty regularly and figured it would be a good chance to channel our favorite water princess Ariel!

The class is an hour long and in addition to jogging, you do jumping jacks, bicycle kicks, skiing and so on to boost cardio.  I like that it doesn't feel too hard, yet I find myself gasping for breath throughout the class and so exhausted at the end, I can barely drive home. 

The only thing I don't like about DWR is that you really need to wear a one piece exercise swimsuit.  Since I have a long torso, this makes me look like some kind of water beast, no matter what kind of vertical stripes , plus I always feel all hunched over and sad. I did try a 2 piece at my first class, and found...things....kept... popping out....a lot. North and South. When I'm kicking my arms and flailing about underwater, this is pretty much the unsexiest thing you can imagine (wait! Now imagine it's the dead of winter and my skin is pasty and my legs aren't shaved! Hey, it COULD get unsexier!)  Either way, I'm glad it's all underwater, because I feel like this:


In this class, the teacher kept yelling at me when I was doing things wrong...which may have happened a lot but geez lady, you were kinda hard to hear over the dance remixes of Kid Rock.  I kept a smile on my face throughout the class (especially when those long pink noodles came out, hee hee) and kept picturing the end of the Little Mermaid when Ursula gets her comeuppance.  That helped tide me over (tide! Get it? Sea theme!! hahaha!)

Soaked in the hot tub too before heading home. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh....

2 comments:

  1. hmmm... things popped out?? remember... when you pick up a guinea pig by its tail, its eyes pop out..

    gwoss

    ReplyDelete