Wednesday, August 11, 2010

But enough about my training: What do I get to eat?

To sum up, I feel like this:


So, I thought I would briefly talk basic nutrition for the distance runner instead of how I feel like I went head to head with a truck and lost.  Here goes:

First, forget everything Dr Atkins ever told you...you need lots and lots of carbs to fuel a run.

Carbs: 60% of daily intake, from pasta, rice, bread, fruit and starchy veggies
Protein: 15-20% of daily intake, from lean meats, low cal dairy and beans
Fats: 20-25% of daily intake, but the "good" kind from oils, nuts and fishes, not my favorite kind of fat.

This guide is good because carbs are my favorite. If I had my way, every day would be potato and spaghetti sandwich day. 

You also want to ensure you get plenty of calcium and iron to ensure you can perform at your best (that's what she said) and drink lots of water to stay hydrated. Which means liver milkshakes are the perfect mineral supplement.  But I'm going to stick with capsules until this shows up as Dairy Queen's featured flavor.

I did some research yesterday when I was hungry, and there's a California Pizza Kitchen near Disneyworld, so I think we'll be just fine for our pre-race dinner...HURRAY!

1 comment:

  1. Can we have potato and spaghetti sandwiches for dinner tonight?

    ReplyDelete