Friday, August 13, 2010

Miracle Day = Miracle Food!

This morning I ran 5K on the treadmill on the speed interval setting.  I toggled between 8.5KPH and 11.5KPH and finished in 32.18.  Not my fastest 5K EVER, but it was still up there and I felt pretty good at the end!  I ran my first half marathon last year but didn't keep up the training as well as I'd like to, so these are harder than they used to be. Now, remember my last post with the brief nutritional tutorial for runners?  Well, yesterday was Miracle Day at Dairy Queen which means when you buy a Blizzard, you're not snarfing a tasty frozen treat, you're helping sick children! 

We went over and tried out the new mini Blizzards, which are a PERFECT 6oz serving, you know, to help out the kids.  I had checked nutritional info online before we went and chose the Peanut Butter Cup Blizzard (which I didn't know existed, I thought they used Reeses Pieces, which are delicious on their own but all waxy when added to ice cream and therefore not my favorite). The mini clocked in at a half decent 275 calories.  I did a breakdown of these calories and they are as follows:

38g carbs
11g fat
6g protein

In other words, the breakdown was 69-20-11.  An optimum runners diet should be roughly 60-20-20, so a Blizzard does go a bit over on carbs and under on protein, but is otherwise basically the perfect runners fuel.  No wonder my run this morning was so decent! I was being fueled by a Dairy Queen Powerhouse!

You can't argue with science, folks. I'm adding a Blizzard mini into my diet at least twice a week until they take them away.

PS....Speaking of Blizzards I went to Cambodia last year and had a Large Blizzard, which was only slightly bigger that the North American Mini version.  I think that nicely demonstrates why we're the most obese continent on the planet!  Go Team!

No comments:

Post a Comment